The 2017 HSBC Road to Wimbledon 14 & Under Challenge will be in the planning stages during the autumn months of 2016.
We look back on a successful 2016 event where nearly 8000 juniors participated via their club, park or school with 144 players qualifying to play at Wimbledon at the National Finals in August.
These Finals also included players from China and India where both countries held their own Road to Wimbledon events early in the year.
The HSBC Road to Wimbledon 14 & Under Challenge will once again provide two pathways to give all players an appropriate opportunity to compete in the tournament and the chance to compete on the grass courts at Wimbledon.
- This pathway is for players rated 7.1-10.2 or non-rated on 13 April 2017 and events are delivered by an organiser in a club/park/school.
- The event gives organisers a unique opportunity to engage and inspire their 14U players and organisers can choose a format relevant to their venue to deliver a fun, sociable competition.
- Organisers can choose the dates for their venue events however they must take place between 15th April and 11th June 2017.
- The winner of each club/park/school competition will progress to the County Finals on the 15th-16th July (note, County Finals in Scotland will take place on 3-4 June).
- County Finals winners will qualify for the National Finals to be held at Wimbledon from the 14-19 August. Runners up from the County Finals will be invited to a tennis clinic with Tim Henman and Dan Bloxham at Wimbledon on Saturday 19th
- Clubs and parks are required to pay an entry fee to stage an event. The entry fee is £15 for the girls or boys event, or £25 total if entering both the girls and boys events. Payments to be made online at the time of entry. There is no entry fee for schools to stage an event, however you must still enter online to ensure you receive your organiser pack.
- Entries open on 1st December 2016 and will close on 28th February 2017.
- Further information on the Road to Wimbledon Challenge (club/park/school) is available here and entry information will be sent to clubs/parks/schools in December 2016.
- This pathway is for players rated 6.2 and higher (at the entry deadline) and is played via 7 regional qualifying events across England and Scotland. India, China and Hong Kong (new for 2017) will also be hosting overseas qualification events.
- Amendment for 2017 – if a regional qualifying event is oversubscribed acceptances for that event will be based on a player’s 14U combined ranking as of the event closing deadline (only players rated 6.2 or higher at the closing deadline will be considered for acceptance).
- The regional qualification events will take place from 24-25 June 2017 (3-4 June in Scotland) and players can only compete in the event taking place in their specified play region/county.
- Two girls and four boys from each GB regional event will qualify for the International Finals taking place at Wimbledon from the 14-19 August (fewer players will qualify if draw sizes are smaller).
- Further information on the Road to Wimbledon International is available here.
For more information please contact Paul Hutchins and Amanda Green
LTA Competition Manager